Developing Potential has had the privilege of working with both UK Athletics and England Athletics for over eight years. As the national governing body for athletics and responsible for the development and growth of some of the top Athletics clubs throughout the country, they have fully embraced the benefits that Developing Potential offers. Both for their employees and those who coach at grassroots level in their clubs.
Working with England Athletics, Developing Potential’s brief was to help deliver their mission by supporting and developing a new culture of co-operation, coaching and mentoring at every level of the organisation and throughout their ‘local’ clubs nationally.
The mission we were to support is ‘Working in partnership with the wider athletics family to create a vibrant, safe and progressive sport – embracing athletes of all abilities and from all communities – to grow the next generation of athletics champions’.
- To foster a culture of coaching and mentoring in the organisation.
- To develop mentoring skills across their coaches and officials.
- To support the senior management team in delivering their mission.
- To facilitate and develop an involving style of leadership at the local network level.
A long-term programme has been created, including a range of interventions for senior managers, training for community coaches, club networks, individual coaches and officials.
- Increased understanding of the involving style of coaching with its powerful effect on performers.
- More coaches using effective questioning and listening skills to develop high performance.
- Management working as a team aligning vision and values to goals and action.
- Communication and understanding of their mission, vision and greater involvement at every level though a more inclusive leadership style.
What they said
“We have found Developing Potential’s workshops and development coaching to be informative, interactive and thoroughly enjoyable. They have helped to enrich our internal leadership and mentoring skills so we are better equipped to manage our relationships with our member clubs. Now as part of our continuing mission to help develop and grow the finest athletics clubs nationwide we have rolled out Developing Potential’s workshops and distance mentoring to the qualified athletics coaches and leaders within our top 25 club network. There are plans to develop a coaching and mentoring DVD with Developing Potential to be distributed to athletics coaches across the country.”
Chris Jones – marketing and strategy manager – England Athletics
Back To Case Studies >>