Developing Potential also provides support within the third and education sector and the work done with Youth Sports Trust demonstrates how we enable those in responsible positions to develop their own leadership and organisational leadership culture.
The Youth Sport Trust is an independent charity, established in 1994 by Sir John Beckwith CBE and Duncan Goodhew MBE, with a mission to build a brighter future for young people through PE and sport. They are focused on creating a world-leading PE and sport system that reaches, inspires and engages all young people – whatever their age or ability. Working directly with the Specialist sports colleges it supports PE and sport delivery in most schools through its school sports partnerships.
They identified an opportunity to further develop the leadership culture within schools to include greater use of coaching and a more facilitative and inclusive style of leadership and teaching. Developing Potential was engaged to deliver a programme to raise awareness of individual impact and the opportunities that alternative styles of leadership would bring to whole school culture and performance.
- Engage with participants to identify the current impact of their leadership/teaching style.
- Raise awareness of alternative styles to engage with and develop responsibility in others.
- Support participants in creating a clear action plan for sustainable change in their own performance and in the performance of those they lead and/or teach, leading to the development of a coaching and inclusive leadership culture within schools.
- Measurement of experience, learning and impact has demonstrated the effectiveness of each intervention.
- Through developing individuals in senior positions and encouraging and supporting them to influence others, development of a more coaching leadership culture has been demonstrated in a wide number of schools.
- Developing Potential has been re-engaged on a number of occasions with new cohorts due to the success of each previous programme.
What they said
As an example from a programme run for subject leaders in PE, this is what the client said.
“The work that Developing Potential carried out for us took a very different approach to previous courses and workshops that we had run. They concentrated on the Subject Leaders in Physical Education as individuals and their roles as leaders and managers, and the unanimously positive feedback that we have received from attendees has encouraged us to invite Developing Potential to run further workshops and to speak at our national summer networking events.”
Matt Topliss, National Development Co-coordinator